The other night we were watching some of our good friends kids. We let the boys go out in the backyard to play basketball. Tyler decided to dive across the deck to save a ball. Instantly coming up saying OWWWW! He looked down at his leg and screamed, I walked over to find this sticking out of his leg!!
I figured it was sticking out far enough to just pull it out. So I pulled, and his skin and leg came with it, so I tried the tweezer's, wouldn't budge! Stew was still at the hospital working, so I called a friend down the street who happens to be a Resident also. He quickly cam to evaluate the patient, who had since calmed down(thanks to a sucker). He calmly decided he would just pull it out, YANK, nothing, a few more tugs, followed by a few more OUCH!!!
Tom then decides it needs to be CUT out. WHAT!? (I do not handle these things very well,of course Stew would be working!) He gave Tyler a shot of Lidocaine right below the entry point of the stick. This was the only time Tyler really complained. He was squeezing my hand saying, OWWW, owww, OWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! That lasted about 15seconds, then he couldn't feel anything, so he watched. Tom made a small incision, removed 2 pieces of the splinter, then cleaned it out, and we stuck a band-aid on it.
Tyler was SO brave! He didn't cry, or scream. We measured the splinter, it was over 1 1/2inches long, and the width of a small hanging nail. It is still a little bruised, and swollen, definitely still sore, but he will live. I however am not sure I will survive the injuries that come along with 3 boys!

4 comments:
oh man, that is NASTY!! poor guy. Good thing for resident friends, eh?
Lacey,
That is crazy. Who Knew a splinter could be that bad! What a trooper.
WHOA! That's awesome and pretty funny that he just happen to have some Lidocaine handy...
I guess I should read these blogs more. I am glad you had a friend to help you get out that huge splinter. I brother Harold did the same thing, but the huge splinter was in his foot. Back in those days my mother had to soak it for several days in epsom salts to get it loosened. We were in Anchorage, Alaska and I guess there was not a doctor around at the time. Mother finally got it out. I'm glad Tyler was so brave and hopefully all healed. Grandma Stewart
Post a Comment